We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our Engineering team, or a Mid-Level Backend Engineer looking to make a move to improve their career!
What you’ll get:
- Salary between £60,000 and £75,000 per annum.
- Company share options matching your salary (after successful probation).
- Work for a #Tech4Good company.
- Flexible working hours, outside of core hours (10am - 3pm).
- A defined contribution pension.
- 25 days holiday a year, plus 8 bank holidays; increasing after the second year, as you're with the company year-on-year, up to a maximum of 30 days.
- A Macbook Pro for work use.
- 1 day per month for training/learning, and self-improvement.
- A training budget of £1,000 per year.
Technologies we use:
- AWS (Managed and Serverless)
- Jira + Confluence
- Swagger / OpenAPI
- Slack / Teams
What we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years experience in a Backend related role.
- Experience in a development language, ideally Python, others considered.
- Excellent code craftsmanship and software design skills.
- Experience of developing/maintaining applications in a cloud environment, such as AWS.
- Experience developing and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience of deploying web applications, databases or other backend services.
- A strong interest in best practice ways of working, such as: DevOps, TDD, Trunk-based Development, CI/CD and XP.
- Excellent communication skills and interest in pair-programming and mob-programming.
- An understanding of agile development practices.
- Prior experience of, or an interest in, mentoring and supporting other developers within the team.
- Prior experience of leading a Backend development team.
- Good version control skills, particularly Git.
Nice to haves:
- Hands-on system and user administration experience in an AWS environment.
- Experience of serverless technologies and application development.
- Knowledge of using Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform and/or AWS CloudFormation.
- An interest in Platform Engineering/DevOps.
About the company:
Grid Smarter Cities are at the forefront of the drive towards cleaner, safer and smarter cities. Based in the centre of Newcastle, and proudly so, we’re at a very exciting stage in our company’s growth as we look to bring in new developers into our core product delivery team.
At Grid we work on interesting, meaningful products in a lean, fast moving fashion. We ranked top 10 for IP, and now we need to get our products out to the world!
We want to collaborate with interesting people. It could be you, especially if you have some of the skills and interests below:
- You care about the users of your product.
- You are a professional who cares about your craft.
- You like working as part of a team.
- You spend time thinking before doing.
- You don't think something is done if you've not tested it.
- You're a nice person - we’ve got a small team which we’re looking to grow, and we all get on splendidly, so we’d like you to help us grow our team and maintain our culture.
- You're a contributor - someone who wants to be involved in defining our core products as well as building them.
- You have a passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems.
- You are open to new ideas and ways of working.
If you want to be part of a company creating a new parking-defining product, to help shape the company, as well as the products we build, please get in touch.